Qasr Libya. Cyrenaica. Libya. View of the remains of the atrium at the entrance of the Eastern Church where the fifty mosaics were found in the church floor, before being moved to the museum. The Church is located just 100 metres from the museum. The lively and colourful mosaics of Qasr Libya are considered some of the finest examples of Byzantine period art ever discovered. Dating from around 529-40 AD during the period of Emperor Justinian, the mosaics subjects range from animals, plants and mythological creatures. One of the most famous mosaics has a rare representation of the famous Lighthouse of Alexander. The wonderfully preserved mosaics were accidently discovered in 1957 when Libyan labourers who were digging for building stone unearthed two Byzantine Churches. The mosaics and two Churches were part of the ancient town of Olbia and are located approximately 50 kilometres from Cyrene.