This image was captured at the fortress of Kos Town, the capital of the Greek island of Kos. The castle stands at the entrance to the harbor of Kos Town and was built by the Knights of the Order of St John of Jerusalem, who captured the island in 1314 and held it until 1522 when it fell to the Turks. The castle occupied a strategic position in that, together with the castle of Halikarnassos on the coast of Asia Minor opposite, it gave them control of the sea lanes.
- Copyright Steven Sklifas. All Rights Reserved.
- Image Size
- 7360x4912 / 28.1MB
- Contained in galleries
- Kos Town - Kos - Greece